Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Where I stand on Ethics

Utilitarianism is the greatest good for the greatest number of people. This means when you're making a decision you make it based on what will do the most good for everyone involved even if it hurts someone else. Deontology is based around doing ones duty. If you're a father it is your duty to take care of your family. Your actions are decided upon that which will fulfill your duty. Virtue ethics is doing something that makes you virtuous. My high school at a motto that "One man or woman of principle can always make a difference." It means you make decisions based on which makes you the most virtuous.
What I like about utilitarianism is that you do the most good but at the same time you have to make a sacrifice. This is shown in the "Trolley Problem". Deontology is good because it shows you that you must do your duty but at the same time your duty isn't always the right thing. Virtue ethics is a slippery one based on your decisions being virtuous but not ethical in your eyes.
I most identify with Utilitarianism. While I take my own ethical beliefs from a lot of different places the one I find most compelling is definitely utilitarianism. The idea of helping the most people appeals to me. Going into criminal justice its one of the things I hope to achieve being able to help the most people I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment